The school library is the school's physical and virtual learning commons where inquiry, thinking, imagination, discovery and creativity are central to the students' information-to-knowledge journey, and to their personal, social and cultural growth...1
- Borrowing from the LRC
- Reminders and bills for unreturned items
- Fines, lost or damaged Items
- Opening hours
- Revision guides and dictionaries
- Contact details
LRC stock is issued for a standard loan period of 14 days.
Textbooks issued on behalf of teaching departments are issued until the beginning of June. So a textbook issued in July would be on loan until the beginning of June the following year. Textbooks required for a second academic year must be brought into the LRC for renewal, e.g. for Year 11 GCSEs or Year 13 A Levels.
- Years 7, 8 and 9: 3 items
- Years 10 and 11: 4 items
- Sixth Form: 10 items
- Staff: 15 items
Students are not allowed to exceed their borrowing limit without the express permission of the LRC Manager.
Students are requested to return or renew LRC items issued by the LRC on or before the due date stamped on the date sheet attached to the item.
If items have not been returned for a period of 6 months after the due date they will not be allowed to borrow any further items until the overdue item has been returned, replaced or paid for.
Overdue item notifications will be sent to parent/carers including the cost of replacing items in the following circumstances:
- All Years: When an item has been overdue for a minimum period of 6 months.
- Year 9: For all overdue items at the end of Key Stage 3. This is to ensure students have sufficient space on their library ticket for resources required in Key Stage 4. NB: Students are repeatedly reminded in Year 9 Reading Development Lessons to return or renew items before Rollover Week.
- Year 11: Leavers' Forms are issued to students prior to their GCSEs. The deadline for returning / paying for all the Key Stage 3/4 items on their account is the date of their last exam. Leavers' letters including bills for all items not returned or paid for at the end of the GCSE period are posted home marked for parent / career attention.
Please note: Items for Key Stage 5 will not be issued to students until all Key Stage 3/4 items have been returned / replaced or paid for. This ensures that student's have room on their LRC account for their Key Stage 5 items and so that their Key Stage 3/4 are made available for other students in lower years.
- Year 12: Lists of Year 12 items are issued approx. 2 weeks before the start of study leave. All items should be renewed or returned by the Friday after the end of the Year 12 exam period. This needs to be completed before Year 13 items can be issued, items will be chased through the school's internal communication systems until the end of the summer term. For non-renewed or returned items from Year 12 a bill will be posted home in Term 1 of their Year 13.
- Year 13: Lists of Year 12 items issued approx. 2 weeks before the start of study leave. All items should be renewed or returned by the Friday after the end of the Year 13 exam period. Leavers' letters for all items still issued to students at the end of A Levels will be posted home.
Students and staff leaving the school should ensure that all the items issued to them by the LRC are returned prior to their departure from the school. Lists of items on loan are available from the LRC Staff on request.
Students are responsible for any item issued to them by the LRC.
The LRC does not charge fines for overdue items. However lost or damaged items must be paid for.
Charges for lost items or for the replacement of a damaged item are payable though ParentPay, and are based on the replacement cost plus a £0.25 administration charge.
The LRC is open during term time only.
- Monday - 8:50am to 4:30pm (Clubs only 12:30pm to 1pm | Sixth Form only study skills drop-in 4pm to 4:30pm)
- Tuesday - 8:30am to 4:30pm (Sixth Form only study skills drop-in 4pm to 4:30pm)
- Wednesday - 8:30am to 4:30pm (Sixth Form only study skills drop-in 4pm to 4:30pm)
- Thursday - 8:30am 4:30pm (Sixth Form only study skills drop-in 4pm to 4:30pm)
- Friday - 8:30am to 3:30pm
- Closed during Mentor Period on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday
TA support is available in the LRC during all lunchtimes and between 3:30pm and 4:30pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
The LRC has around 30,000 items of stock including:
- Fiction - you can find something to suit all tastes from around 10,000 books, including audio books, manga and graphic novels.
- Non-fiction - this is where you will find information for school assignments and for your own interests and hobbies.
- Reference - dictionaries and encyclopedia for checking facts and figures. These books cannot be taken out of the LRC.
- IAG Careers Library - information on jobs and apprenticeships including vacancies, college and university courses and open days and gap year options.
- Journals - GCSE and A Level resources supporting the curriculum and wider study.
- Newspapers and Magazines - local and national newspapers, and a wide range of magazines including: Match of the Day, Empire, Neo, National Geographic, MagPi, HackSpace and BBC Focus.
- Local Studies - want to know more about your School and Dronfield? This is where to look. This section also has local history information, maps, walks and guidebooks from around the Peak District, Derbyshire and South Yorkshire.
- Computers: The LRC has 15 desktop and 32 tablet computers for student use. The computers are available for personal study by staff and students, if not being used for lessons.
- Printing and Photocopying: The printer / photocopier in the LRC is accessed using the student's ID (dinner) card. Each student has a print allocation free of charge. No money will be deducted from their catering account.
Revision Guides and dictionaries can be ordered from the Learning Resource Centre at discounted prices at any time of the year. As there is such a wide range of revision guides available, and the prices are subject to change through the year we do not offer on online service. The LRC works with the teaching staff to recommend the guides are best suited for each student.
A revision guide stall manned by the LRC Staff will be located in the E-Block on Information Evenings and Parent / Pupil consultations throughout the year. Sample copies are available for inspection and guides can be purchased or orders placed on the evenings.
Payment by cash or cheque made payable to Dronfield Henry Fanshawe School Fund is required at the time of ordering. We cannot at present take payment through the ParentPay system. In most cases revision guides are subject to a 25p administration charge.
Please contact the LRC Staff on the telephone number or email listed at the bottom of this page for more information and current prices.
The LRC accepts donations of books, maps and magazines. These items are assessed for their relevance to the curriculum, suitability of content, and condition. Any donated items which the LRC staff assess as not meeting these criteria are passed to local charities.
If you have any questions please contact the LRC Staff, Ms Whitelegg (LRC Manager) or Mrs Beeden (LRC Assistant).
- Tel: 01246 412372, ext:162